On 5/24/2012 11:57 AM, Jim Straus wrote:
Hello -
   People can certainly created rogue UAs that can bypass much more than
"installs_allowed_from".  But I don't think manufacturers are likely to do this
as they know it would seriously impact the ecosystem of stores/developers/devices as it
would be a disincentive for developers to develop for the platform.  Device manufacturers
can make it difficult for folks to install rogue UAs by requiring signed code before
installing/running new UAs (as some Android devices do).  This isn't to say it
can't/won't happen.  B2G is effectively a rogue UA on Android, but I don't think it is
likely to be done as part of an manufacturer distribution.
   As mentioned previously, if an author wants, they can allow for distribution from any
place using the "*".  but it is ultimately up to the app developer to make that
choice.
-Jim Straus
While installs_allowed_from may be necessary for paid apps (in order to keep people from being tricked into paying for something which they then can't receive), it is overall a necessary evil, and if we could distinguish in some other way between paid and nonpaid apps, we (the Mozilla UAs) *shouldn't* honor it for nonpaid apps. In general, we should be giving the most control to the user, not to the developer.

--BDS