Stats for the last 12 months (jan - jan) show both projects about equal.
Hornetq has an edge on number of committers but not a big one.

https://www.openhub.net/p/hornetq <https://www.openhub.net/p/hornetq>
https://www.openhub.net/p/activemq <https://www.openhub.net/p/activemq>

I have read the history and I still don’t think things have been presented as
clearly and openly as you think. Plus all the unnecessary insults (ActiveMQ
will die without HornetQ, No one will choose ActiveMQ based on technical merit,
etc) from various folks have done nothing but foster division not community.