Now that this thread has been open for a minute, I'll loop back to this
with my own thoughts...

I'm not complaining about the overall pace of development. Instead I'd just
like us to discuss how and why that pace is concentrated in bugfixes, UI
tweaks, new operators, and so on. Check out the changelog:
https://airflow.apache.org/changelog.html - there comparatively isn't as
much work going into redesigns of platform features that are painful (or
missing) in Airflow currently like backfill, parametrized on-demand DAGs,
subdags, xcoms, historical DAG definitions, operating/monitoring airflow,
metadata features, etc.

My guess is: working in these areas requires more consensus on what
architectural direction is correct; it's really hard to test "all of
Airflow" (and all its use cases!) for compatibility changes; and it's hard
to merge big PRs that affect a lot of rapidly-moving code. So I'm not
saying that anyone just needs to "work harder", but that we might all
benefit from process changes that incentivize or enable work on deeper
features of Airflow as a platform.

For a suggested process change, I really like some of what Jarek is
proposing. I would certainly find it useful to have a clear contributor
guide. Expecting more from contributors is fine, as long as those
expectations are laid out. If we have firm process expectations, we can
start automating around them.

Another example process change: I think that Airflow development would
benefit from a clearer statement of audience and supported use cases. Is
the goal to focus on being the "best ETL tool", or do we want to support
more diverse scheduling workflows? Are there any workflows that we never
want to support? I see a lot of discussions where the response to changing
a feature is, "It's that way for historical reasons" (often, because it was
for ETL at Airbnb that way). That's not an argument either for or against
keeping it that way, though, so it's really hard to respond to that in
discussion. If we have some statements about user workflows, we can at
least start discussion with a set of principles to point to.

Another example process change: I think that at least Airflow major
versions should have roadmaps, which should match our target audience. The
most recent I can find is two years old!
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/AIRFLOW/Airflow+2.0 A good
roadmap should be based on evidence of user and developer interest; it
should be updated on a regular cadence with a clear process; and it should
make a convincing case for platform improvements that, by themselves,
wouldn't be worth implementing. It's not just "when will this feature
happen", but "why are features happening in this order" to facilitate
designing something to be more than the sum of its parts.

So... what would it look like to develop features influenced by a roadmap?

An example roadmap goal: what if we wanted Airflow 3.0 to be
container-native, with most deployments occurring on containers? That's not
really a "thing", as there is no one feature that makes something
container-native. But if we called ourselves that it might refer to a lot
of smaller features that, by themselves, aren't as exciting:

- Documentation on a "day one" Airflow installation backed by popular cloud
services like ECS, GKE, etc.
- Documentation of how to deploy an Airflow-compatible, locked-down Docker,
so that people can port existing envs to a local container executor
- A rock-solid Docker Compose workflow for local development of Airflow
- An API for creating DAG-run based ephemeral volumes, which can be
propagated downstream, to support easy migration of "requires local
filesystem" workflows
- Integrating Airflow with container security features (like disallowing
root or capabilities)
- Improved Kubernetes pod logs
- Getting operators runnable in containers without a full Airflow worker
process (possibly even without a DAG sync process)
- Help building containers: at minimum a good official base image and
documentation, but possibly build scripts, or even DAG code to help you
build containers

Here's another goal that's more cross-cutting: what if we wanted Airflow
3.0 to be better for scientific reproducibility? That's pretty broad, but
might mean coming up with a set of features like:

- All executions stored immutably, either built in or as an integration
with a metadata service
- All DAGs and tasks execute in containers, and track container metadata
- Richer metadata/provenance about each task instance
- Each DAGRun saves the DAG version that it was based on / accurate
historical execution info
- Backfills default to using the historical version of the DAG, and have
first-class operations for "recalculate the same DAG with new data" and
"recalculate the same data with a new DAG"

This isn't to say that we will never support these usecases or features,
but that without community decision and guidance, they'll arrive slower or
only in parts. I'm glad that we're a "big tent" software development
project that accepts most PRs, but it's still worthwhile to revise
contribution guidelines and set project goals, because they also shape
community behavior and interest.