I'm totally in favor of not using Jira, as they are serving hardly any
purpose other than just a useless step before creating a PR. However, I
don't think to make a GitHub issue mandatory is also a good step, as
eventually, it'll meet the same fate of being opened just before opening a
PR.

So IMO we can use Github issues for simple use, which is to report some
bugs/questions by users, who are not necessarily planning to create a PR
soon.

Also, if we go this route, then we can do the one time Jira cleanup and
port only valid issues in Github.