> I'm totally in favor of not using Jira, as they are serving hardly any
> purpose other than just a useless step before creating a PR. However, I don't
> think to make a GitHub issue mandatory is also a good step, as eventually,
> it'll meet the same fate of being opened just before opening a PR.

> So IMO we can use Github issues for simple use, which is to report some
> bugs/questions by users, who are not necessarily planning to create a PR soon.
Yes, that was what I meant but I wasn't clear; I was just using "Github Issues"
as a collective product name, and not saying we need an issue for every PR.

-ash

On Mar 16 2020, at 11:42 am, Sumit Maheshwari <sumeet.ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm totally in favor of not using Jira, as they are serving hardly any
> purpose other than just a useless step before creating a PR. However, I don't
> think to make a GitHub issue mandatory is also a good step, as eventually,
> it'll meet the same fate of being opened just before opening a PR. So IMO we
> can use Github issues for simple use, which is to report some bugs/questions
> by users, who are not necessarily planning to create a PR soon. Also, if we
> go this route, then we can do the one time Jira cleanup and port only valid
> issues in Github. On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 5:07 PM Ash Berlin-Taylor wrote: >
> Yeah, Github issues are far from perfect, it's mainly just I feel we have > a
> lot of "busy-work" in our process that is no longer really serving much >
> benefit to us as a community. > > -a > On Mar 16 2020, at 11:35 am, Bolke de
> Bruin wrote: > > Honestly, I think both suck. So I can go either way > > > >
> > > On 16 March 2020 at 12:33:27, Ash Berlin-Taylor (a...@firemirror.com >
> (mailto:a
s...@firemirror.com)) wrote: > > > The subject pretty much says it all. > > >
We aren't using Jira very well in most cases, and the requirement for > a Jira
ticket for a code change leads to people just creating new Jira > tickets,
rather than searching to see if there already exists a ticket for > that
feature. > > > For example: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AIRFLOW-6987
and > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AIRFLOW-2824 (I'm not trying to >
pick on anyone involved here, I just happened to notice this) > > >
Additionally most of the committers follow a similar path of "work on >
feature, open Jira ticket just before creating PR". > > > I am proposing we
migrate over to Github issues and drop the > requirement to have a jira ticket
for PRs. > > > The one downside is we might get people opening issues for as an
> "help, how do I do this" -- I think we can address that by having an issue >
template saying something like "DO NOT OPEN AN ISSUE ASKING FOR HELP - ask > on
user
s@ or join slack". > > > The only other thing Jira currently gives us is the
ability mark tasks > for "backporting" -- I think we can replace that with
Github Milestones. > Kaxil or I will happily update the scripts we use to
build/check the status > of releases. > > > Thoughts? > > > The only
outstanding question is then what do we do about migrating > the issue (do we
copy issues across to Github?). Perhaps it might be a good > opportunity for a
clean slate. > > > -ash > > > > > > > > > >