That's not what I'm proposing. I should have been more verbose before,
sorry. Let me rephrase.

Don't rename #development. Leave it where it is, restrict posting to admins
only. Create a new, fresh #contributing where everyone is still welcome.
One of us admins will post in #development with links to #troubleshooting,
#random, #contributing, etc. But #development is "dead" at that point for
everyone, just sticking around for a while so folks have time to
navigate/join the channels they care about going forward.

Basically, don't just rename #development -> #contributing, and carry 14k
folks along with us. But leave a map in #development for folks.