Hi Bill,
Am 15.02.2011 04:17, schrieb William A. Rowe Jr.:
What you are proposing is overkill, handling textual information as a binary
overkill?? I just ask for changing a svn format in the repo for a handful of files which need on _all_ platforms to be LF - isnt the svn:eol-style setting exactly for this purpose?
resource, and I'm strongly -1 (if you hadn't noticed).
oh, I got that - but nevertheless I would like that you explain to me on a technical aspect why my suggestion is bad and inacceptable; what you posted so far does not explain where you expect real problems, but sounds more like your personal dislike, and I believe that this is irrelevant for an ASF project.

Also it *seems* a bit to me that you didnt really think about what I exactly proposed, and what it will cause, therefore I summarize it again below ...

proposal:
change all *.sh, *.m4, buildconf* and configure* scripts to 'svn:eol-style LF'
result:
a svn checkout will allways treat these files with LF format regardless of what svn thinks is native for the platform, and this seems correct to me.

side effect:
the _only_ side effect would be that it is then _required_ on windows to use a developer editor which supports LF formated files for editing autoconf files; but I cant imagine that anyone developing on windows platform uses an editor which is not aware of LF formatted files. For _all_ other platforms there would be no change since they anyway default to 'svn:eol-style LF'.

Gün.