> I think trying to package CUDA is the wrong way to think about it.
Instead, perhaps you should try to make the package compatible with
system CUDA installs.

I agree in principle.
The problem fundamentally stems from user expectation.

In my ~6+ years of supporting Torch and PyTorch, installing CUDA on a
system can take days, with a user mean approximately half a day. It might
be userland incompetence, or that CUDA is a magical snowflake, but the
reality is that installing CUDA is never great.
So, a huge amount of issues reported by userland are side-effects from
broken CUDA installs.
It doesn't help that the PyPI user expectations of "my package should just
work after a pip install".

If we can reliably install an up-to-date CUDA in a standardized way, and
NVIDIA simply doesn't sidestep the userland issues by saying "user our
docker", or "our PPA is 100% reliable", we would've been in a better state.

Until then, I think it's best that we find a solution for PyPI users that
can work out of box with PyPI.