For trivial PRs that do not merit mention in the changelog you could
preface the issue title with something like "ARROW-XXX" and we can
modify the merge tool to bypass the consistency check for these. I
think some other Apache projects do this. I can understand how it
might seem like a nuisance to get a Jira when fixing a typo in a
README, so this is easy to fix.

For contributors doing non-trivial work, I think we want to try to get
people in the habit of putting out there what they are working on.
That's the thing that's most consistent with "The Apache Way" — write
things down, make plans in the open, allow others to see what is going
on and not have the roadmap existing exclusively in people's minds.