Hi,

FWIW, the amount of bureaucracy that goes into JIRA is a major contributing
factor for the reduction of my time commitment to this project by 80%+.

My limited understanding of the apache way is that it concerns how
decision-making and governance happens on an apache project in the context
of the inherent incentives of actors behaving on behalf of private
organizations. In this context, we preserve the decision-making process
within apache.org. The connection with JIRA is that it is hosted on `
apache.org`, which the foundation guarantees availability. Moving
discussions from Github to JIRA is the method over which we keep that
information preserved and available. The rational being that slack, github,
etc. are not hosted by apache and therefore out of the foundations'
control. Equally important, JIRA is a board that most projects leverage to
prioritize and curate a backlog.

The major challenge is that most discussions happen where PRs are created
and seen, which is on github, but JIRA and mailing list is used for other
types of decisions. In this model, how do we preserve curated information
about the decision process while at the same time leverage both JIRA and
github's capabilities? OTOH, asking contributors to create a jira account
and committers to add the person as contributor, as well as the email spam
and the merge process is a large barrier.

I admit that there is no easy solution here. The status quo is imo a waste
of my personal time, but I get it that there are good arguments on both
sides.

IMO the foundation could be clearer wrt to what does it mean with
information being preserved and available (e.g. on apache servers?) and if
yes, follow it through by hosting all their projects on their own github /
gitlab / whatever, where issues and PRs are on the same platform, and offer
SSO for contributors as a way to prove identity across the system. But that
is also a complex operation with a lot of unknowns...

Best,
Jorge