With both what has occurred with the Julia project and what may
possibly be occurring (what appears to me to be occurring) with these
Rust overhaul projects, is that the communities expectations with
regards to Openness aren't being followed.

If a change is significant and will affect other developers in the
community, such as a large refactor or a large PR that will interfere
with development in some portion of the codebase (example, I wrote a
large and disruptive C++ PR last may that affected all of our compute
kernels), then it needs to be discussed in a public place as soon as
you are aware of it. The Openness tenet is about an obligation that
individuals have to communicate with their fellow collaborators.

Jorge has said that "that [the community] is unwilling to change some
of its processes" — if changes would involve allowing development to
happen in private or outside the community (as what has occurred with
Julia), it is simply not possible to accept these changes. We have
said repeatedly that we would accommodate Julia's needs with respect
to releasing.

The discussions that we have had recently have centered around
communication questions.

* Mailing list discussions serve to raise awareness around matters of
importance to individuals in the community
* Issues serve to raise awareness around prospective or in progress
projects, and to help document the community's labors

Every PMC member has an obligation to ensure that communications in
the project remain healthy and in concordance with the Apache Way so
that we do not devolve into a small cabal of developers who understand
what is going on, while anyone outside the cabal can't understand just
by reading our public communication. Other open source projects do
that, but we don't do it here.

If the Rust developers collectively want to move everything to a
different GitHub repository and use GitHub issues, let's go ahead and
do it and live with the consequences. But these principles above
simply must be followed.