On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 7:49 AM Wes McKinney <wesmck...@gmail.com> wrote:

> With both what has occurred with the Julia project and what may
> possibly be occurring (what appears to me to be occurring) with these
> Rust overhaul projects, is that the communities expectations with
> regards to Openness aren't being followed.
>
> If a change is significant and will affect other developers in the
> community, such as a large refactor or a large PR that will interfere
> with development in some portion of the codebase (example, I wrote a
> large and disruptive C++ PR last may that affected all of our compute
> kernels), then it needs to be discussed in a public place as soon as
> you are aware of it. The Openness tenet is about an obligation that
> individuals have to communicate with their fellow collaborators.

For the record, the reason I'm making a fuss about this is that a
contributor proposed a contribution moratorium in the Apache project
as the result of work happening outside the community

"would like to raise the idea of temporarily suspending major PRs against Rust
Arrow/DataFusion until the work to incorporate the two big changes for
Rust/DataFusion:

1. Jorge's major refactor/rewrite of the core Rust Arrow code.
"

I'm not trying to make things difficult for you all, but this looks
like the kind of thing we would like to avoid.