The Gradle build scripts are ready (
https://github.com/apache/calcite/pull/1571 )
There might be minor issues like "a resource file missing in one of the
jars",
however, I expect there will be no more major changes.

Unfortunately, there are changes that prevent building with both Maven and
Gradle from the same commit.
For instance, Maven uses
"core/src/main/resources/version/org-apache-calcite-jdbc.properties" for
figuring out driver version.
And Gradle build just generates CalciteDriverVersion.java
I don't want to over-engineer pom.xml files, so I did not try to make
pom.xml files buildable.
However, pom.xml files will be removed right after Gradle script is merged.

The other change is Druid migrated from JUnit4 to JUnit5 (to enable the use
of Assumptions).

I'm inclined to commit the change, so please feel free to review it.

In case you missed, you can start playing with the build with the commands
that are listed in the commit message:
https://github.com/apache/calcite/pull/1571/commits/4bbf1cdeac6e09959e027eaa482a67937228bf9d
"./gradlew tasks" could be a good start.

The file movements/edits are minimal, so I hope it won't affect pending PRs.

Note, as I said earlier, having both Avatica and Calcite in Gradle enables
us to load both projects to the IDE at the same time.
In the same way, one can test who Avatica fix impacts Calcite with a single
command line. No changes to pom.xml needed!!!

The procedure is to clone calcite-avatica and calcite side by side, and use
-PlocalAvatica property.

Vladimir