Lively thread...

+1 opt-in
+1 in separate module

I'll just substantiate Rick Shaw's comments.  If this is on by default, I
can see it making its way into production at a large corporation, at which
time the traffic would sound an alarm as suspicious activity, which would
immediately get the server's plug pulled and trigger an investigation.
 That would land the architect responsible for deploying that server in the
proverbial principal's office.  In the extreme case, that might
"black-list" the technology and add fuel to any debate that the corporation
should just stick with the 'proven enterprise' solutions.  That is not my
perspective, just be aware that in some large corporations it is an uphill
battle to deploy Cassandra  in the first place given incumbent systems.

In every situation I've been in, even outside of large corporations, we
would need to disable this feature given the sensitivity of the data.

All that said... I would love to see this data. ;)
I'd love to know where our deployment lies on the spectrum of use.

Maybe a good old fashioned web form that allows companies to submit their
usage scenarios might accomplish the same goal? (and you could get
additional context information about the industry, etc.)  It wouldn't be
comprehensive, but it may be sufficiently representative.  Maybe you could
just output a couple lines at server start that said something like "Go
here http://... to see how your usage compares to others."

I personally wouldn't throw to big a hissy if it was incorporated into the
actual server and on by default, but I certainly know others that would.

-brian

--
Brian ONeill
Lead Architect, Health Market Science (http://healthmarketscience.com)