2011/11/16 Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com>:
> I started a "users survey" thread over on the users list (replies are
> still trickling in), but as useful as that is, I'd like to get
> feedback that is more quantitative and with a broader base.  This will
> let us prioritize our development efforts to better address what
> people are actually using it for, with less guesswork.  For instance:
> we put a lot of effort into compression for 1.0.0; if it turned out
> that only 1% of 1.0.x users actually enable compression, then it means
> that we should spend less effort fine-tuning that moving forward, and
> use the energy elsewhere.
>
> (Of course it could also mean that we did a terrible job getting the
> word out about new features and explaining how to use them, but either
> way, it would be good to know!)
>
> I propose adding a basic cluster reporting feature to cassandra.yaml,
> enabled by default.  It would send anonymous information about your
> cluster to an apache.org VM.  Information like, number (but not names)
> of keyspaces and columnfamilies, ks-level options like compression, cf
> options like compaction strategy, data types (again, not names) of
> columns, average row size (or better: the histogram data), and average
> sstables per read.
>
> Thoughts?

Hi there,

I'm not a cassandra dev but an user of it. I would really "hate" to
see such code in the cassandra code-base. I understand that it would
be kind of useful to get a better feeling about usage etc, but its
really something that scares the shit out of many managers (and even
devs ;) ).

So -1 to add this code (*non-binding)

Bye,
Norman