Back to the topic at hand.  First, let us establish that all of this stuff will
be happening “on the mailing lists”, all JIRA updates are sent to commits@ with
the reply-to set to dev@, so “JIRA” is still “on the list".

Now we just need to decide how we would like to best make use of these lists.
I propose that we keep dev@ fairly low volume so that people don’t feel the
need to filter it out of their inbox, and thus possibly miss important
discussions.
If someone cares so much about the name of the list where stuff happens, then I
propose we make dev-announce@ and if that happens we can replace commits@ with
dev@ below and dev@ with dev-announce@ and start forwarding some JIRA stuff to
dev@…

In order to keep dev@ low volume (but higher than it currently is, as it has
mostly been “no volume” lately) I propose the following:

Someone has a major feature that they would like to discuss.  (Again this is
just for major features, not every day bug fixes etc)
1. Make a JIRA for the thing you want to discuss (aka post the thing to
commits@)
2. Post link to JIRA with a short description to dev@
3. Have a discussion on the JIRA (aka commits@) about the new thing.
4. If there is some major change/question on the JIRA that people feel needs
some extra discussion/involvement email dev@ with question and link back to the
JIRA
5. Have more discussions on the JIRA (aka commits@) about the new thing.
6. If something else comes up go back too step 4.
7. During this process of decision making keep the “Title” and “Description”
fields of the JIRA (aka commits@) up to date with what is actually happening in
the ticket.
8. Once things settle down make sub tasks or follow on tickets for actually
implementing things linked to the initial ticket.

proposals, and it will keep discussions on JIRA tickets where they are easily
referenced and kept in one place, so it is easy to get to, and easy for.

-Jeremiah