A couple years ago we tried to attach it to an ApacheCon event, but the
feedback from the ASF was fairly negative on attaching events. I don't
think making it a part of Apache Big Data would work.

The alternative as an independent event with sponsorship will be really
hard to coordinate and a potential political minefield.

Tl;DR Cassandra Summit Japan could be an ideal place.

Oh and Russ? You win for most awesome event activity ever.

Patrick