On Tue, Apr 09, 2013 at 11:44:37PM +0530, Rohit Yadav wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 11:56 AM, Prasanna Santhanam <t...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Apr 08, 2013 at 01:32:58PM -0700, Animesh Chaturvedi wrote:
> > > [Animesh>] Folks I wanted to get your opinion on auto-assignment
> > > based on the component maintainers list. We can also create shared
> > > issues filters based on components. Folks can subscribe to the
> > > filters of interest and receive daily email notification.
> >
> > I have no opinion and am okay whichever way - auto-assign/unassigned.
> > But these workflows should be _*clearly*_ mentioned to contributors
> > and where they will go looking for them - wiki, website etc.
> >

> A non-sponsored new/old (casual/hippie) contributor would try to search
> among unassigned issues, while managers/developers/committers whose $dayjob
> allows them to work on ACS fulltime will tend to do 'cookie lickin' which
> is understandable and will assure that someone gets the privilege to work
> on it and their employers will make sure the task would be done :)

I don't think of it as a privilege. Several companies are working
on/contributing to/using CloudStack. I'd think a 'hippie' would have
less to lose if a bug isn't fixed in time as compared to someone
actually facing that bug in production. And it's in the interest of
that person to fix/have the bug fixed. If you do see bugs being held
without any progress /update on JIRA then I say snatch that cookie and
eat it. I'm not promoting holding on to bugs at all! :)

> I would prefer an environment where every contributor (sponsored or
> otherwise) would assign the tickets themselves, and unassign if they cannot
> do it or don't have time/resources for it.

I've always wanted this to happen. I think it's wasteful to have
someone dedicated to look at the tickets for you. People are much
smarter than having to look at JIRA filters and tickets that *might*
interest you. And it's perfectly alright for someone to fix the issue
that is assigned to me as well. I'm happy if someone fixes a bug
that's assigned to me :)

> We've already seen several occasions where someone assigns an issue to
> someone and we see cycle of assignments because the "assigner" had no clue
> about the issue or did not really know who would could really resolve the
> issue. Just saying.

This likely is because 'someone' wasn't aware of who was able
to/available for fixing the issue. CloudStack spans a lot of modules
and it's not easy to figure out who broke what. I've only assigned
bugs to folks that I know for sure will be the right person to fix the
issue. And that person was not necessarily a committer. I've assigned
bugs to contributors too to help promote them to committer through
more patch submissions.

--
Prasanna.,