From: Chip Childers [mailto:chip.child...@sungard.com]
Sent: 15 May 2013 15:14
To: dev@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: [ACS41] Discuss CLOUDSTACK-2463 being resolved in 4.1 vs 4.2

Sebastian re-opened CLOUDSTACK-2463 due to users wanting to upgrade from 2.x to
4.1.  This relates to the security groups feature being available when using
VLANs in an advanced networking zone.  This feature was apparently broken in
the 3.x series, and is not slated to be reintroduced until 4.2.

This is a horrible situation, and one that we've now encountered for a third
time.

IMO, we have 2 very specific options:

1) We pull that new feature into 4.1, and do the relevant testing.

2) We do not pull that feature into 4.1, and release as is with a strong
message in the release notes highlighting that we know that 2.x to 4.1 will not
support it (and state that those users requiring the feature should wait for
4.2).

At this point, I don't have a preference.  We probably need to understand the
effort for (1), as well as understand who would do that work (dev AND testing).

Thoughts?

-chip

intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon
its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you
believe you have received this email in error. Shape Blue Ltd is a company
incorporated in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is operated under
license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.