I'm curious why you think OpenMBeans are awkward and unmanageable.  Seems
pretty easy to me. What am I missing?

Ralph

-----Original Message-----
From: Gianugo Rabellino [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, March 28, 2004 1:10 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [RT] On building on stone

Well, of course I have no interest in a "my experience is longer than
yours" discussion. :-) I'm not saying that JMX can't be part of an IT
management environment, it's quite the opposite actually. What I'm
contesting is that every configuration and basic application behaviour
should be managed via JMX since this would mean forcing your application
to adhere to the JMX model which is, AFAIU, somehow limited
architecturally: it seems to me that it's easy to do simple task (set
and get properties, send notifications) but it becomes horribly (and
uselessly) complicated when it comes to complex stuff. There are things
that are better done with plain old configuration systems, which can
express much more: starting to use model/open MBeans seems to me ankward
as hell and, most of all, unmanageable (go figure!) from the application
development point of view: my impression is that there is a high chance
of inserting bugs when using JMX the way it wasn't conceived for.

--
Gianugo Rabellino
     (Blogging at: http://www.rabellino.it/blog/)