Leo Sutic wrote:
From: news [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Leo Simons

again, from memory, the real tough part is the barrier that's in place around the reference.

I'd say the hard part is when A has significant state that isn't preserved when it dies.

right! Any reason it can't be preserved?

reminds me of Persistable...

> 1) A active
> 2) schedule swap of A with B
> 3) prepare swap to max extend (ie create and initialize B)
> 4) suspend A and all processes referencing A
> 5) swap
>    1) stop A
     1.5) save A state
>    2) kill A (if it doesn't respond)
     2.5) load A state into B
>    3) start B
>    4) update reference
> 6) resume A and all processes referencing A

the problem is that step 5 just keeps getting more and more expensive...and for all intents and purposes, needs to be atomic.

--
cheers,

- Leo Simons

Component Community -- http://componentplanet.org/