Ugo Cei wrote:

Il giorno 26/mag/04, alle 11:17, Carsten Ziegeler ha scritto:

Some things that come to my mind for 2.2:
- first finished version of CForms.
- deprecate XSP (and provide a viable alternative)
- cleaning up the caching/store mess
- remove deprecated blocks etc.

- Differentiate between blocks that provide a service to other blocks and blocks that contain just samples or small applications built upon cocoon (petstore, tour, linotpye). Maybe "samples-only" blocks should be a separate download.

+1

-Deprecate blocks that haven't been maintained in a long while or don't serve any evident purpose. Web3, apples, python, php, asciiart come to mind. Maybe I'm wrong about some of them but I just want to make a point, we can then decide on a case-by-case basis.

+1

- Review the implications and the implementation of pooling.

A big +1.

- Reduce unneeded dependencies on Avalon, where possible.

+1. Stated differently: introduce constructor and property dependency injection.

- Review the logging framework. Log4j is the de-facto standard and we have blocks that complain if Log4j is not properly configured, so let's accept it and stop reinventing the wheel.

See my answer to Carsten.

- Drop that Excalibur datasource. Components that need a DS should get one provided by the container via JNDI. If we don't have a container (running via the CLI, for instance), let the environment provide one and bind it to a JNDI namespace.

Mmmhh... defining the JNDI datasources is container-specific, and therefore makes the applications not self-contained. Furthermore, subsitemaps (and blocks in the future) can come with their own datasources used locally. I'm not sure this is compatible with the global declaration induced by JNDI.

- Write more tests (you knew this one was coming ;-) ).

Don't we have enough of them? :-P

Sylvain