Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
> Carsten Ziegeler skrev:
>> Giacomo Pati wrote:
>>
>>> b) might work, but since you want it to be the default ClassLoader I
>>> expect problems users forgot about wrapping their stuff in web.xml.
>>>

>> Yes, that's true - but apart from that what do you think about the idea?
>>
> As, we want to make Cocoon less monolithic and easier to use together
> with other web frameworks, it seem like a step in the wrong direction to
> require all servlets and filters to be wrapped and use non-standard
> classloading.
>
> I don't remember what classloading problems we have, could you give some
> background or a link to the previous discussion you referred to, so that
> I can create a more informed opinion about the issue.

There are several problems, for example Rhino, Xerces and Xalan which
usually are already in the classpath of the app server. Now, Cocoon
requires specific versions of these jars and if the app server comes
with different (possibly incompatible) versions, then you have problems.
And updating the jars of the app server is a no-go. And the paranoid
class loader is the only solution which works reliable.

Other problems occur with logging when for example the app server uses
the same logging frameworks but with a different configuration.

Now, you *can* use Cocoon without the paranoid class loader, but I would
like to make it the default and common practice. If you don't need this
for your own app, you can change it and simply not configure the wrappers.

Carsten
http://www.s-und-n.de
http://www.osoco.org/weblogs/rael/