Sylvain Wallez pisze:

I would say the contrary. Let's not forget that most of our users aren't hard-core developers (they love Cocoon because they can do complex stuff without programming) and they aren't used to this odd/even versioning scheme that comes from the Linux kernel.

Rather than that, it seems to me that most of the "normal" (i.e. non hard-core hacker) people consider a version without any "beta", "milestone" or other suffix as an official stable release. A well-known example is Firefox that goes through a series of milestones, beta and RC version before releasing a stable version with the same number. Eclipse does the same.

Yes, that makes sense. I also wonder how beta, RC, etc. releases can be more confusing that odd/even versioning.

Also, I haven't voted for the renaming Corona to Cocoon 3.0 as I was on vacation, but I really think this is too early. Cocoon 2.2 is just out and we announce a 3.0. This will most probably lead people to consider 2.2 as a transition to 3.0 and just not use it, and thus just look elsewhere.

Provided that one documents our thoughts on 2.2 and 3.0 clearly I don't think there will be that much of confusion.

Actually, I think it's a high time for us to define official document that explains our rules for giving artifacts version numbers. WDYT?

Stated clearly, I have fears that just as Maven almost killed the developer community for 2.2, announcing a 3.0 now will kill the user community.

Sylvain, pardon my ignorance but what kind of real problems with Maven we have _now_ in Cocoon's trunk? I can understand that people were fed up with Maven at the beginning of the transition because it was almost impossible to build Cocoon. But that was more than one year ago.

When it comes to user community, I would say that it grows quite nicely. There are people contributing[1][2] some tutorials, sharing their experience and seem to have a real fun with 2.2.

Could it be a good idea that old-timers just take an example of our user's community and overcome their own prejudices, finally?

[1] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.text.xml.cocoon.user/65605
[2] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.text.xml.cocoon.user/65389/focus=65416

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski