On a related note, anyone with non-trivial build needs can always develop
Maven plugins to fill in any gaps in a more integrated fashion. That’s what
we do in Jenkins, for example, and that’s an incredibly complex ecosystem.
You get a ton of freebies with Maven which is fantastic for libraries
especially.

In my experience, Gradle was most useful in building standalone
applications, though that’s fairly doable with Maven anyways. It’s mostly
useful when you have a critical mass of developers who prefer it;
otherwise, you end up with only half a person who understands the resulting
build scripts.