Le samedi 18 avril 2015 10:55:00 Shane Curcuru a écrit :
> LOL, below.
>
> I highly recommend separating the model from the views, so that we can
> efficiently enable our volunteer's energy here to actually accomplish
> something valuable.
+1

> So let's work on stuff to do that excites us, but remember to keep the
> technical problems focused on what this PMC believes we can truly create
> and maintain going forward.
>
> Don't worry about everything at once.  Just focus on separate bits:
>
> - Method to scrape source data from our various definitive or even not
> completely definitive but very close places (txt files, websites, LDAP)
>
> - Model and data source that actually holds info about committer lists
> and project metadata.  I'm betting Daniels' projects-new does this very
> well already.
+1 it's a perfect starting point: just need to document and continue to
improve
then I started by documenting what are the current information sources used
for generating projects-new.a.o json files:
see https://projects-new.apache.org/json/foundation/ and
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/comdev/projects.apache.org/scripts/README.txt?view=markup

> ----------
> - Stable API to get at that model.  Would be really nice if we did this
> just once, so that people working above here don't interfere with people
> working below here.
> ----------
+1

Since there are multiple information sources for TLPs/PMCs/committers, I think
I will consolidate to avoid what's currently happenning: the projects.js (ie
one visualization) contains a lot of code to consolidate the multiple
information sources
If the consolidation is done server side, in the generation scripts, it will
be easier to use for projects.js and any other tool wanting to do other future
visualizations

> - Visualizations.  There's lots of different stuff to do here, and I
> think it'd be super helpful if everyone just did something they want,
> and then show us the code.
+1

> Sure, there's lots of "what is important" to focus on, but I for one
> would love to see real examples of all the cool visualization libraries
> out there, and I know a couple folks already use some of them.
>
> - UI additions for the projects-new/projects websites, which are
> featured at the top level of a.o.  I.e., this is our "projects
> directory", how can we better lead people who arrive there at what they
> want to know?
at the moment, I'm not trying to add any new UI, but improve the consistency
of displayed data, since current state is not really consistent: some PMCs are
not displayed, probably because they have not provided any DOAP file. But even
without DOAP file, we have a lot of data to display for a TLP, most of what we
display for a TLP (ie a project that does not have any subproject)

I think we really have some data model problem here regarding what is a
"project's DOAP file": sometimes, a project is a PMC, sometimes a project is a
deliverable, more like what is called in projectsnew.a.o a "sub-project"

if you look at https://projects-new.apache.org/projects.html?pmc, typical
cases for that are:
- Incubator: there is the "the Incubator project", displayed without DOAP file
since the incubator has special source info, and many sub-projects which
provide DOAP files
- Commons: there is no "Commons' DOAP file", then no TLP... on sub-project is
quasi randomly chosen... Common's DOAP file, if it existed would not release
anything, it"s a pure "organizational" project
- Ant: there is an Ant DOAP file that represent the TLP and the main released
artifact

I chose Commons, but it could have been HttpComponents or Logging Services, or
Lucene (Lucene have been very clear that there is a "Lucene core" sub-
project), Web Services, Axis, Xalan, Xerces, XML Graphics, Attic, Creadur, DB,
jUDDI, Tcl

I chose Ant, but it could have been Velocity, MINA, Directory, HTTP Server,
MyFaces, Tomcat

> - (future) UI additions for *other* places.  It would be awesome, for
> example, to provide a tiny scriptlet that any project could inject in
> their website that displays a "see also" menu.  That would link to a
> specific URL on projects.a.o that would say "hey, you came from
> Cassandra, here are: -other big data projects, -other projects in Java,
> -other projects with the same committers... etc." as a service.
>
> - Shane

I'll continue tonight on this
Any help appreciated

Regards,