Le samedi 16 mai 2015 00:30:55 sebb a écrit :

> >> That is not how I understand DOAPs.
> >>
> >> DOAP == Description Of A Project
> >>
> >> i.e. some releaseable artifact.
> >>
> >> A single PMC may have multiple projects, each with its own releases
> >> and repositories.
> >> These are modelled quite well in the DOAPs that PMCs have created.
> >
> > +1
> >
> >> Information about the PMC which manages the projects is NOT stored in
> >> a DOAP, it is stored in a PMC data file.
> >> This is referenced from a DOAP using
> >>
> >> <asfext:pmd rdf:resource="URL"/>
> >>
> >> where URL is either an actual URL of a PMC data file or a dummy URL e.g.
> >>
> >> <asfext:pmc rdf:resource="http://<pmcname>.apache.org" />
> >>
> >> which leads to a file here:
> >>
> >> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/infrastructure/site-tools/trunk/projects
> >> /da ta_files/<pmcname>.rdf
> >
> > I'm not RDF expert, but this Apache-specific algorithm to find PMC rdf
> > file seems strange: I understand it is coded/known from projects.a.o xslt
> > transformation
> Yes.
>
> > But this should be usable from any RDF tooling, no?
>
> It's not currently usable except by using special processing.
>
> The problem is that the shorthand URL is used by all but about 4 of
> the PMCs, so it would be a major challenge to get this fixed.
>
> Some PMCs are quick to fix such issues; some may take weeks or months
> to fix even a simple error.
I think that people don't understand this PMC information rdf file (I didn't
until our current discussion)
But with good explanations and visualization help given by projects-new.a.o,
we can go really faster: I'm ready to try once we're clear :)

> > Another problem I see with these PMC data rdf files is that they seem to
> > not be really maintained: I doubt PMCs update PMC data rdf files on each
> > PMC Chair change.
>
> Yes.
>
> > That's why I had the idea of generating/updating the chair when
> > parsing committee-info.txt.
>
> Fair enough, but that does not mean the code needs to create yet
> another RDF file.
+1
my itend was not to create a new one, but replace with generated info

> > But other information manually written in current PMC data rdf files can't
> > be found anywhere else, AFAIK.
>
> Yes.
that's where it hurst: we need to mix handwritten with generated content...
nedd to be clear on the process

> > Last problem: I personnally really didn't understand this PMC data rdf
> > file
> > until now. I don't know who understands it :)
> > IMHO, the magic algorithm to find the rdf file is a root cause.
>
> The PMC data file is documented here:
>
> http://projects.apache.org/docs/pmc.html
yeah, I read it several time before, I knew I was not confident with what I
read, and now I know I completely misread it until now.

> >> There is an ambiguity here: project can mean an organisational entity
> >> and project can mean a releaseable artifact.
> >>
> >> There are different RDF files for the two meanings; only the artifact
> >> has an associated DOAP.

> >> No, it only links to the TLP = PMC data file, it does not represent the
> >> TLP. The Ant DOAP file only represents the Ant product.
> >
> > ok, IIUC, I should rephrase
> > https://projects-new.apache.org/project.html?ant : 1. "Top Level Project
> > data:" to "Apache Committee data:"
> > 2. "Project established:" to "Committee established:"
>
> That does not seem necessary.
>
> > 3. "Sub-projects (8):" to "Projects (8):", eventually boldening the TLP if
> > one is the TLP
>
> No - none of the projects are the TLP.
as said in the other thread, this assertion is confusing: "none of the
projects are the Top Level Project"

> The TLP / PMC is not the same as any of its projects.
>
> Most PMCs happen to have the same name as one of their projects, but
> they are distinct entities.
>
> To take the Ant example, there needs to be an Ant PMC/TLP page and a
> separate Ant project page.
> These should be linked somehow.
>
> > and I should rename tlps.json to committees.json (and update code
> > accordingly)
> No need.
given this problem with "a TLP is not a project", I think using committee or
PMC would avoid confusion

> > then on https://projects-new.apache.org/ , do we really want to graph TLPs
> > evolution or committees?
>
> No idea
ok, for a later discussion :)

> > I suppose commons can be called a TLP, even if it does not have any "main"
> > project that is the effective TLP
>
> Yes, Commons is a TLP/PMC.
>
> I don't think it's helpful to think of PMCs having a "main" project.
>
> PMCs have one or more projects; each project has a single PMC.
>
> > comdev is not really a TLP: should probably not be listed in projects
> > list,
> > but as "special committee not producing projects"?
>
> Well, it is responsible for this mailing list and is probably
> responsible for the projects.a.o website.
>
> > is Labs a TLP? or like comdev?
>
> What does committee-info.txt say?
these are normal committees
but form a software perspective, they're not expected to produce any project
AFAIK, that's why I think they are special regarding the other 161 PMC that
are meant to produce projects