Hi, all;
   We had an interesting chat during the barcamp at ACNA2015 discussing
ideas for spreading the word about open source. A few folks mentioned
that it would be a good idea to partner with local universities to do
talks/programs/etc. This sounded like an interesting idea so I
squirreled it away in the back of my mind to be revisited after I
settled back into the not-apachecon-routine... Interestingly enough, the
day I got back from ApacheCon, a former professor (and mentor of mine)
had asked if I would be willing to send the head of the IS program a
letter of recommendation to accompany his nomination for an award. I
mentioned the idea of doing something with the university regarding open
source and introducing students to the idea in the P.S. of the email...
Well, one conversation led to another and now I find myself teaching a
credited class about open source in the fall.

   I think this is really neat and exciting but a challenge at the same
time. Since the idea was planted in my head w/ the ASF, I thought it
would be a good idea to float the question here to ask, "What would go
in a college class about open source?" I think I can work through a
syllabus, but I'd love to hear suggestions from those who have been
involved in the ASF longer than my 4-ish years.

Here are some of the ideas I have in mind for things to cover:
*What IS open source? The history/birth of the movement.
*Source control with Subversion/GIT/?
*Bug tracking
*Mailing lists/IRC/communication tools
*Participating in an open source community
*Lab(s) where we create a repository and commit/work through examples of
using the tools
*Guest speaker: How we make money with Open Source
*Guest speaker: The Apache way (of course!)
*Guest speaker: Why I trust open source software in my production
environment
*Guest speaker: Why NOT open source (?)
*Popular open source licenses - discussion around each
*???

I've only been on this list since ApacheCon this year, so I'm not sure
what areas (if any) I would have commit access to in the community
project, but I am more than willing to provide the materials I create as
part of the class for those similarly interested in putting on such a
program.

P.S.
I'm in the process of mining
http://community.apache.org/speakers/slides.html for additional ideas,