Just to throw a different opinion out there, I wouldn't mind reading and
deleting as many as a dozen marketing-type emails per year if it got the
ASF's name out in front of people that don't already know about us, or
made the ASF appear like a friendly, collegial, foundation.

We might require approval of the content to make sure it doesn't somehow
enable tracking/data-mining, and require an ASF sessions(s) and speaker(s)
so we can market the ASF at their event.

My 2 cents,
-Alex