While I understand the necessity for users to have access to all source code,
I'm a bit concerned about the complexity this places on the open-source
project. Let's take Airflow as an example. If we want to use pgbouncer in our
home chart are we expected to be able to build this external project?

I think that if this is ASF policy, then maybe we need to modify the policy to
meet the current ecosystem. Helm charts are made to handle complex deployments,
and expecting a project to own every other piece of their ecosystem is a pretty
heavy burden. Is there some compromise we can come to? Can we store certain
pieces such as source code, Dockerfile, and docker binary in some Apache cold
storage to ensure they are reproduceable?

Ideally I'd just like to keep the burden on project maintainers to a minimum.
This could heavily discourage projects from creating official helm charts.