Von: MJ Foulks <foulks...@gmail.com>
Datum: Freitag, 9. Februar 2024 um 17:02
An: dev@community.apache.org <dev@community.apache.org>
Betreff: Re: [WG: Sharpeners] Proposed - Sharpeners
This is another great idea.

You mentioned objections along the lines of "who are you to tell me what to
do?"  Most volunteers do better with some direction, rather than being told
"just submit a PR"  or "just contribute."  Most volunteers, especially new
volunteers such as myself, find that lack of direction frustrating.  Lack
of direction will lead to less active volunteers doing less work.

 Sharpeners can help provide direction without it having to come from a
position of authority.  I do agree that the Sharpener (even if a leader of
the WG) should not have any higher authority than others. However, their
position as a Sharpener should be recognized and respected, and their
advice taken with their elevated role in mind.  They are peers, but they
are peers with a more broad view and more experience in their skill set.
Advice can be taken or left, but a Sharpener's advice should, ideally, be
given more thought and consideration.

--MJ Foulks