Not so much an accident as very deliberate!

When we started this is how you worked with JSON:

var data = eval('"' + my_json_string + '"')

We then had some fun w/ Crockford's JSON lib licensing. [1] Specifically
IBM did not like the enforceability of "The Software shall be used for
Good, not Evil." clause. Doug offered to rewrite it: "The Software shall be
used for Good, not Evil, unless you are IBM." But surprisingly this was not
enough. So, we wrote our own JSON lib. Yup. JavaScript was pretty awesome 5
years ago.

/me grumbles about lawn or something

[1] http://www.json.org/license.html