XML is also buying us a couple of small but nice features, such as
optionally wrapping tags with a <platform> tag or (potentially) a <mode>
tag, etc.  That functionality would not be expressed as cleanly with JSON,
so its not a pure win to move away from XML.

Add to that the fact that we are already perceived to change stuff way too
often for no due cause, I just really don't see the value.