At the time I went through my design iterations I just didn't want to
necessarily depend on cordova tooling changes / documentation.  In other
words, someone else may have a different strategy for testing..

My personal opinion would be have the test plugin ship with a plugin hook
(those are in, right? or at least on their way), that will automatically
update the start page if you pass a flag to run command.  Ie, in an ideal
world:  `cordova run --tests` runs a plugin hook passing in --tests flag
which changes the start page, in a way that isn't overwritten by the
top-level config.xml.

My 2 cents, since I don't want "our way" of testing mobile spec to be "the
only way" to test.   Frameworks and opinions on testing change.

-Michal