I have noticed that most of the plugins don't use the engine tags or have
them set to cordova 3.0.0 or 3.1.0 which are very old.

As we drop support for old iOS/Android versions when updating cordova-ios
and cordova-android, what is our policy for iOS/Android versions support in
plugins?

Right now people can use the plugins on very old versions of iOS or Android
despite we don't support them on the platforms, as the plugins engines are
set to 3.0.0 or 3.1.0 on most of them.

Should we start updating the engines to newer cordova versions? or even
fine grain it to cordova-ios/cordova-android versions?
I have noticed that we even have engines for iOS versions using apple-ios
on the engine tag
https://github.com/apache/cordova-plugin-wkwebview-engine/blob/master/plugin.xml#L35
(but not sure if this really does something as the plugin can be
installed/used in older iOS versions and what works or doesn't work is
controlled in the code)

Or just say that the old Android/iOS version is not supported by Cordova
anymore if someone complains about a plugin not working?