I think the ease of use of GitHub issues overcomes potential problems
about cross-referencing issues. Worth noting on this topic that GitHub
already provides good support for referencing pull requests from
issues across repos / orgs.

The benefit of having issues and PRs in one place, to me, is a benefit
too tasty to pass up.

Darryl, do you have examples of issues that you think could be
problematic in a GitHub-based world?