On 26 Nov 2010, at 11:34, Dirkjan Ochtman wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 11:30, Peter Lemenkov <lemen...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Much better scenario would be to disallow generally bad practice of
>> bundling sources from different projects, but this would be painful
>> because even many popular Linux distributions (not to mention of Mac
>> OS X and Windoze)  lacks of good Erlang support right of the box.
>
> The solution for that is a build system script to pull tarballs of the
> web, not keeping full copies (in some cases not associated with any
> upstream URL or revision -- for oauth) in the VCS, IMO.

This breaks the basic requirement of not requiring networks access for
an installation which I remember Noah is advocating.

I think we can agree on that packaging and distribution is a tricky
business and that there are not general right or wrong ways of doing
it, just different priorities for certain trade-offs.

Cheers
Jan