> Just to come back to your user mindset argument. I would argue that the
> people we really need to convince ARE the developers. Because the
> developers are the people who pick the tooling. And if CouchDB/apps do not
> look attractive, they will be ignored.

I'd just like to jump in and echo this. I'm the architect for a number of
commercial projects and will often be the person specifying the datastore
technology. I'm happy to see the progress that has been made with 1.2 in
recent months as this makes it viable for me to continue to advocate
CouchDB as a perfect backend for mobile projects in particular.

But.

When it comes to datastores for a backend API, the landscape is different.
For years my tooling of choice would have been mod_perl and MySQL, but Perl
has become fragmented and less relevant and is generally perceived as old
technology with a long list of deficiencies.

The driver for change has therefore been the backend development language,
not the database per se.

I'm finding now that Scala is a superb choice for replacing Perl for
reasons that aren't at all relevant to this discussion, but what is highly
relevant is that the choice of language can often drive the choice of
database depending on what is best supported.

With Scala, and particularly when using the popular Play! framework, that
seems to mean Mongo - for example if you search the play site for CouchDB,
you'll get zero results, whereas with Mongo ...

http://scala.playframework.org/documentation/2.0.3/Modules

And so I find myself doing new projects with Scala and Mongo ...

The detail of this isn't important, but I guess what I'm saying is that
it's probably more important now for the CouchDB team to focus on
advocating a great solution than it is to add new features to it. Building,
maintaining and promoting some great client libraries for emerging stacks
like Scala / Play would not be the worst place to start.

I know that actions speak louder than words though, and to that end I will
be finishing my presentations on why Couch is such a great fit for mobile
and will be happy to contribute that to the project if it is in anyway
useful.

Great to see the group active with passion!

Roger