I understand your apprehension, however, the primary ways of minifying
javascript these days is with a javascript lib, or with a java lib.

It should be noted that the node.js dependency is strictly as a build
tool, and not actually required for building couchdb. We could make it
an optional dependency, and just have a default compiled version in
the codebase at all times, allowing you to skip the node.js dependency
if you just want the standard configuration. For a vanilla couchdb
install, there shouldn't actually be any changes necessary to the
compiled app, so this could be a reasonable approach.

-Russell