Basically after LVG2016 update you have to store all databases in HSQLDB
2.3.4 format. Thus you should upgrade data to that format. Other things
exactly the same. I intentionally don't introduce other changes in the
setup so it will be easier to incorporate to existing code.

Steps to upgrade from HSQLDB 1.8 to 2.3.4
1. Open HSQLDB in the HSQLDb manager for version 1.8 (not 2.3.4)
2. Run following commands:
SET SCRIPTFORMAT TEXT
SHUTDOWN
3. Close HSQLDB manager
4. Open database in the HSQLDB Manager for version 2.3.4
5. Execute
SHUTDOWN
6. Now you have database updated.

LVG 2016 already comes in HSQLDB 2.3.4 format. IIRC you need update only
ctakesnormx database to make pipeline works.

I definitely want to have my code support LVG data outside of cTakes
installation and now with latest LVG this is easily possible. Let me know
if you interested in this setup.