checked out the source code, compiled and imported in eclispe, local setup is
done.

Thank you.

Shenglin Qiu Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 10:10:16 +0100
Subject: Re: Revised Proposal: GSoC - (CXF-3388) Expose CXF JMX MBeans as the
JAX-RS resources‏
From: sberyoz...@gmail.com
To: dabaip...@hotmail.com

Hi - that looks good, register it today please and then reply to the dev list
confirming it

I'd only add

"* Check out svn http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cxf/trunk/rt/management/ and
local dev environment setup

       1. Setup a simple inbound cxf server, add InstrumentationManager into
CXF bus config.
       2. Use JConsole to monitor."

into the second phase (ranking)

Cheers, Sergey

2011/4/7 Shenglin Qiu <dabaip...@hotmail.com>

Proposal Title: Expose CXF JMX MBeans as the JAX-RS resources

Student Name: Shenglin

Apache registered account alias: Travis

Student E-mail: dabaip...@hotmail.com

IM: qslnewy...@yahoo.com

Phone: 607-727-3067

Project/Mission Description
Original Description CXF-3388:

The JAX-RS application exposing CXF JMX MBeans over HTTP needs to be added to
the rt/management-web component.

*Why This Project*
I have been using Java, including core Java, Spring, Hibernate, Apache open
sources, JSF, Struts2, Vaadin, GWT in projects both professionally and
academically around 3-4 years, I have been using plain Javascript and Jquery
professionally around 2 years. I am very comfortable with the projects based on
Java and Javascript.

Meanwhile, as a Java developer, I constantly involved in both front end and
back end development, from my past experiences on https://boost.att.com,
https://ct.att.com, http://www.key2world.com, http://www.bebeme.com, 2 major
academic research projects(search engines' performance analysis) by core java,
I have gained all kinds of development/research knowledge. In all my
development memory, Apache open source is always the first dependency I need to
add, it provides great tools, such as String checking, credit card info
checking are the 2 used most frequently. CXF is the only one I would pick for
light/middle weight web service development, I have studied CXF and Axis2, and
I feel CXF offers way better development approach, in terms of modern JEE
style, including the configuration xml style and integration with Spring.

Apache Foundation is the first group I picked in GSoC, and when I see CXF, I
feel so exited and it must be the one I have to try to join. Meanwhile, after
reading GSoC application principles, I realize and understand the fact that
this is not just for students who want to kill some time in summer, it's a
serious project with clear approaches and goals, everyone must take their best
efforts to get involved with. Therefore, I must wisely choose a GSoC project in
Apache with my current knowledge pool and comfortable programming language, in
terms of maximizing the chance to get enrolled. CXF-3388 fits perfectly with my
target.

Proposal Timeline and Project Plan (Revised)

April 1 - Apr 8 (GSoC Application Deadline)
    * Contact with Sergey and all project involved staff.

    * Study CXF and JMX MBean server interaction.
    * Check out svn http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cxf/trunk/rt/management/
and local dev environment setup

       1. Setup a simple inbound cxf server, add InstrumentationManager into
CXF bus config.
       2. Use JConsole to monitor.

    * Revise proposal and submit proposal to GSoC.

April 8 - April 24 (Student Ranking/Scoring Deadline)

    * Code study http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cxf/trunk/rt/management/, and
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cxf/trunk/rt.

    * Discuss the project approach, including: data models, backend layers,
complexity, 3388's configurations, integrations and settings with existing CXF
RT, prototype building, testing methods and desired outputs.

    * Discuss the final data models, inputs/outputs which will be used for UI
presentation.
    * Start to build snapshot version.

April 24 – May 24 (Official Coding Start)
    * Build prototype from discussion, integrate into prototype inbound server
and gain real experiences on this MBeans - CXF add-on  -- Heavy coding.

Official coding period starts:
May 24 - July 11 (Mid-Term Evaluation Start)

    * Always keep in touch with mentor.
    * Coding CXF JMX MBeans exposure based on prototype.  --  Heavy coding.

    * Integrate the coding to prototype server, use JConsole to check every
step as debugging and testing.
    * Discuss, design all necessary web approaches which could be used in this
project, e.g. server technology: plain servlet, Spring MVC, JSF, GWT.... / web
container, jetty, tomcat....

    * Start to build up front end, I assume some universal CSS, images and
layout will be provided for a mature look & feel.

    * Start to integrate backend to front end.    -- Heavy coding

Jul 11 - July 15 (Mid-Term Evaluation Deadline)

    *  Code review and revise.    -- Hakerthon.
    *  Work evaluation.

July 16 - August 16 (GSoC Suggested 'Pencil' Down Time)
    * Finish front-end back-end integration  -- Heavy coding.

    * Code review and revise   -- Hakerthon.
    * QA

    * Documentation.

August 16 - August 30 (GSoC 2011 Final Results Announcement)

   * Code revise   -- Heavy coding.
   * Final round QA.

   * Documentation revise.
   * Code submission.

Personal Introduction
I have been using Java for academic research and work for about 3 years. I am
currently a computer engineering  student, and have F1 visa in US. (Visa
status: F1, expiration data: Aug 31, 2011, will have the chance to extend it to
December 2011 if it's necessary).

I have good experiences in using cxf for ws outbound call and good practices in
inbound server. I think it's amazing if I could have this opportunity to make a
further step.

Please feel free to contact me for further questions.

Note
Thank you for Sergey's very helpful advising and mentoring.

If everything looks ok, I will send this by the end of tomorrow, April-7-2011.

Regards:

Shenglin Qiu
06/Apr/2011

--
Sergey Beryozkin

Application Integration Division of Talend
http://sberyozkin.blogspot.com