Am Mittwoch, den 04.07.2007, 20:44 +0200 schrieb Frank Schönheit - Sun
Microsystems Germany:
> Hi Marc,

Hi again, Frank,

> > I was thinking about using gprof and cgprof or similar. But I fear this
> > will make the office a multi-gigabyte-nineheaded-monster if compiled
> > with "-pg". A small test app I've used lately has grown about factor
> > 2-2.5 in size (dunno how much this would be loaded into memory). This
> > strategy would have to be limited to some files only, but fiddling the
> > build process of OO.o is not for the fainthearted.
>
> Perhaps you should carry this to [EMAIL PROTECTED] I'm sure others
> asked themselves those questions, too ...

Will do if my environment is moved to the new HD and OS version...

> > So the question is if it's worth the efford. But if gui updates are
> > unavoidable this is not so promising.
>
> I suppose in this particular case, there is no *single* big hotspot, but
> I might be wrong about this.
>
> Question is whether searching with field formatting is /that/ useful.
> How often does it happen you look for "1.2007 10:" in the mid of a
> date/time field?
>
> Perhaps we should limit searching to what can be done with filtering:
> LIKE, =, ... and let the engine do all of this.

This is an acceptable limitation IMHO, but I'd like to hear at least
some voices from people using this feature more often than myself.
Anyone reading this?

If really necessary the old implementation could be used for additional
searching capabilities, would take one more checkbox "do expensive
search in formatted fields" or the like.

> > I was hoping for some "internal" materials at sun that could be quickly
> > overhauled to be published.
>
> Sorry to disappoint you. Nowadays, there's rarely *any* meterials which
> are not published on OOo, so there in fact is nothing you don't see on OOo.

Okay. But it was worth asking. :)

> For the guidelines, there's the coding guidelines in the Wiki (too lazy
> ATM to search for them), which are pretty fresh. That's the most obvious
> thing which springs to my mind.

I'll find it. Btw., the link to ximians "hackers guide" or similar was
dead yesterday, would this take an issue for the www project or mailing
the webmaster or what?

>  Other than that: yes, we have a problem
> spreading and sharing our knowledge and rules ...

Sometimes simple things can give an impression, too. E.g. the
specification template gave me a little peek into the process of
designing done for OO.o.

If specifying new parts of base would include some structural
information, like class diagrams or whatever is helpful in
understanding, a little basis for developers guide additions were
available from the start on.

I never had the need yet, but maybe running reengineering tools will do
something good. I'll try that at the next opportunity.

Marc