Am Mittwoch, den 15.08.2007, 15:00 -0500 schrieb Barbara Duprey:
> I have a database (embedded) with a table and a number of queries. When
> I created the table by copying a table from another database, I
> specified that a primary key should be created, so each record acquired
> a unique number. Now I've gotten to a point where I want to add records.
> Ideally, I could append them to the table from another source, properly
> keyed. (I actually have the new records - unkeyed - as rows in Writer
> tables right now.) But all I see as possible is entering each field of
> each record, including specifying a key number, from scratch. Since
> we're talking a couple of hundred records, that's not very attractive!
> Is there a better way? Would updating from version 2.0.4 to the current
> version (not yet 2.3, which I understand is making lots of changes in
> Base) be of any use?

As the last time I answered my recommendation  is OO.o-Calc.

In Writer use "tools - text <-> table" function to have the seperate
fields identifiable. Deselect "border" and use tabs as separators.

Copy the table to calc: Mark the complete table, select copy in Writer,
activate a (new) calc doc and paste to position "A1". This way you'll
get a nicely ordered table tranferable to base at last.

In Calc you can easily type in the last key+1 into the key column (that
you maybe need to insert first) and then use "edit - fill - series" to
have the keys inserted. Or grab the little black square with the mouse
and pull it downwards.

Afterwards the transfer to the table using F4 and drag&drop'ing the data
on the "tables" node is nearly the same as last time. Only instead of
creating a table you type in the target tables name and select "attach
data".

In OO.o 1.1.0 I'm using for having english menu names the last button is
labeled "create", but it inserts the data as expected.

If you have to do this task repeatedly, I'd suggest writing a macro.

HTH,
Marc