Frank Schönheit - Sun Microsystems Germany wrote:
Hi Marc,

As the last time I answered my recommendation  is OO.o-Calc.

Are you (or is anybody else lurking here) aware of an issue for this? If
not - Barbara or Marc, care to submit one? I mean, there should be a
direct way, shouldn't it?

Thanks & Ciao
Frank

I'd be glad to submit an issue if there isn't one. My idea of how it should work would extend the kind of data movement that can be done in Writer (and I guess Calc) where you can select and copy a rectangular portion of a cell grid, select the top left corner of the destination cell grid, and paste. That would extend the current capability to use copy to create/append. (It could even include generating new data base records as needed if there is an auto-increment value for the key field.) It would work in queries as well as tables. I love the way paste works in Writer, it's very intuitive and makes short work of things I've often had trouble with in MS Word (haven't tried any particularly recent versions of that, so I don't know if you still have to select an exactly equivalent area in the destination to be able to paste, but that was necessary in all the versions I've worked with).

Do you folks agree that this would be a reasonable request? I obviously haven't thought it through all the way, but I could provide examples of the kinds of things I'd like to see. Basically, I'd like anything that looks like a table in Writer, Calc, and Base to allow data interchange. I've written a lot of User Guide type documentation, I could even work up some kind of draft of one for this.

While I'm at it, I might look for something about the much-less-than-helpful error messages when the current create/append logic hits a snag. May have been fixed since 2.0.4, but if not ....