On Thu, 2007-09-06 at 16:19 +0200, Andreas Saeger wrote:
> Dinbandhu wrote:
> >
> > 1. How to change the name of an existing column?
> Example for given table "Table1" having field "ID" to be renamed to "ID_New"
> ALTER TABLE "Table1" ALTER COLUMN "ID" RENAME TO "ID_New"

ok, thanks.

> > 2. How to add a column?
> >
> This should work in the design view.

I see. Yes, it is possible there. But in the design view, it looks like
one can only add new columns at the end. Is it possible to insert one in
the middle, in the design view itself?

> All SQL commands for the underlying hsqldb are documented here:
> http://hsqldb.org/web/hsqlDocsFrame.html

Thank you, I went and to a look at this website.

> Example:
> ALTER TABLE "Table1" ADD COLUMN "New_Date" DATE  BEFORE "Date"

ok, that is good that it can be inserted in the middle via SQL. I guess
that's the only way to get a column inserted in the middle of a table?

> > 3. How to move a column from one location to another?
> >
> Simply don't. The order of columns is not relevant.

For me, it is quite relevant. Because:

1. The columns in this table are not at all in the order they were in in
my MS Access table. I had the columns arranged in an order that was
convenient to me. Now it is not conveniently arranged. Is the best way
to set this up, in the spreadsheet before I import it into Base?

2. My tables are often evolving entities, that get added to as they
mature through time. Call it bad database planning, but that is often
the way it works with my projects. In MS Access, this was not at all a
problem. Right there in the GUI of the main table view one can insert
columns anywhere in the table, delete columns, and in this view move
columns if needed according to one's evolving convenience for easy data
entry.

> > 4. How to save the file?
> >
> > I've added a couple of rows to the table. Now I want to save my work and
> > close the table. But the "save" option in the "File" drop-down menu is
> > grayed out. And if I do ctrl-s, it just types an "s" wherever the cursor
> > is. So I am afraid to close the table, for fear I'll lose what I added.
> >

> When you add/remove/edit your data, you are simply using the database.
> All changes are written as soon as leave the current record.

Here "record" refers to a given row of the table, right? So that means
that as soon as one finishes entering data in one row of the table and
moves to another, the data entered in the prior row is, shall we say,
"saved"?

For example, say for the sake of illustrating the point that one loses
power in the middle of one's work, and the computer goes down. Will the
data entered in all rows ("records") prior to the current one, be
preserved?

> Esc will
> drop all edits on the current record (just like Access).
> The odb database document needs to be saved only if you changed the
> structure of the database.

ok.

My desire is just to clearly understand that the *data* I enter in the
table is "saved". When you use words like the edits will be "dropped" on
the record, is that here a synonym for "saved"?

In the process of working on a table, in MS Access I am in the habit of
periodically doing Ctrl-s to save my work as I go. Is there no need for
this then, in Base?

Some general observations/questions:

It seems to me like there is much more conveniently available in the
main GUI interface of an MS Access table, than in a Base table. In Base
one has to go to the SQL screen (what do SQL and HSQL stand for?) for
many simple daily operations which in MS Access are carried out right in
the main GUI. I am wondering, is it intentionally kept this way by the
Base designers ie is it felt to be better this way? Or is it instead
that, Base is at an earlier stage of development than Access and
therefore has not yet incorporated these basic operations into its main
table GUI? I am just curious about these things, because perhaps it is
just out of my own ignorance that the Base design seems far more
inconvenient to the general inexperienced user, than the MS Access
design. Perhaps the Base design is in fact more powerful than the MS
Access design. About these things I know very little. But this much I
can say: in my impression the average, lay database user is not going to
find the current version of Base to be convenient. Going to the HSQLD
website containing the various commands for the SQL screen, who is going
to be willing to engage in all that. It is far too much computer
language for the average user who wants to see everything clearly
labeled in plain English in the main table GUI. But I would very much
like to hear your comments as well as those of others, in this regard.

Thanks,
Swarup