-----Original Message-----

What is the default connection type? Is it ADO?

I have two computers, each a dual boot with Win/Ubuntu. One computer is XP, and
the other Win98. The import fails with both computers, but right now I am
working in the Win98 machine. In Win98 how do you register a user connection in
the ODBC-manager? (And in XP, where is that done?)

>Copying from this .odb showing the access tables showed up two things in
>a quick test. I used drag & drop to copy tables from the access base
>window to the target base window:
>
>- If the primary key is based on a text column, OO.o-base doesn't like
>it (read: doesn't add the PK itself). This was solvable by ignoring the
>fact there is no primary key and editing the table definition in the
>target .odb later only setting the text column to "primary key".

My primary key in MS Access is not based on a text column. It is an integer.
When you say "based on a text column", does that mean that the data is of type
"text"? I don't see why the primary key would be of "text" type when it is a
number? Even then, I'll check it again when I get home.

>- Importing truth values (aka boolean values) the column produced an
>error when copying. I deleted the empty table in the target doc and
>started once again, this time setting the vachar(1)-column to a boolean
>value column in the wizard and the import worked flawlessly.

This could also be a problem in my table. I do have one yes/no column, which is
of course boolean. Base's "copy table wizard" did not classify it properly, so
I corrected it.  I'm not sure I understood your instruction as to the resetting
of the vachar(1)-column, by deleting the table etc. Isn't it enough just to
reset the field type of the boolean column to the correct type?

>My setup is made of Win98se, OO.o 2.2 and an old access .mdb. I cannot
>tell which version of access was used to create it, must be one of
>Acc95, Acc97, Acc2k.
>
>Concluding I have to say it is not trivial to import tables from Access
>to OO.o/HSQL but it's not that hard to get it done, at least for a well
>trained user having some basic db knowledge.

Thank you for your suggestions. I really do not know what the problem is. A few
different people have given suggestions, and I've followed them carefully but
without success. (Andreas did suggest doing the import via a spreadsheet. That
I haven't tried yet, but will try tonight.) By this point, it is difficutl to
know what the cause of the failure it. If you go into the [EMAIL PROTECTED]
archive, you'll see the description of just what has been happening. If you are
able to do so, I would very much appreciate hearing your perspective.

Regards,
Swarup