On Sun, 2007-09-09 at 20:00 +0100, John McCreesh wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-09-08 at 08:02 -0400, Dinbandhu wrote:
> > On Sat, 2007-09-08 at 09:01 +0100, John McCreesh wrote:
> > > On Fri, 2007-09-07 at 21:13 -0400, Dinbandhu wrote:
> > > [snip]
> > >
> > > Go to http://download.openoffice.org/ and click on "Help us testing".
> > > But read what it says on the next page: "The software is not recommended
> > > for production deployment at this stage. There are no guarantees."
> >
> > Would you say that 2.3 is smooth running and worth downloading from a
> > lay user perspective? i.e. what stage of refinement is it in? If it is
> > in the very final testing stages prior to distribution, then I'll surely
> > download it.
>
> We're on Release Candidate 2 - I'm using it on this laptop and I would
> be surprised if there are any changes between it and the final version.

I see. Sounds very good. So you'd recommend I go ahead and download the
2.3 rather than the 2.2.1. I suppose if it is a mature version of 2.3,
and you have said it is, then it would represent an improvement over
2.2.1. So makes the most sense, then, that I should get the latest one.

I went to the 2.3 download page. I suppose this [Linux (deb) 135 MB] is
the version which I would want for Ubuntu Feisty 7.04 right? And what
about these:

Download Source Archives from here:

core source package 138 MB
system source package 35 MB
binfilter source package 6.2 MB
l10n source package 75 MB
sdk source package 23 MB

Do I download all those as well?

So is it the case then that what I need to do is download the above
mentioned 2.3 Linux (deb), and also download the above-mentioned source
archives, and then

     1. First log on as root or from the GUI, open a root terminal.
     2. Type:
         dpkg -i -–force-overwrite openoffice.org*.deb \
          desktop-integration/openoffice.org-debian-menus*.deb

If you are familiar with Linux, could you just remind me how I log on as
root?

And lastly, do you think 2.3 may solve the problem I am currently having
in which the Forms Wizard will not complete its task of creating a form?

Thanks,
Swarup