Drew Jensen wrote:
On 3/16/2010 2:45 PM, Marc Santhoff wrote:
Am Montag, den 15.03.2010, 11:02 +0100 schrieb Christoph Lukasiak:
Christoph Lukasiak wrote:
moin database testing folks,

i would like to start a 'new year cleaning up db unconfirmed issues'
week (or two) to reduce this issues maybe under 50 (~120 last week,
under 100 at the moment, after diligent work mainly from drew, as i
know), not let any issues untouched and to check if they are still
valid (specially the older ones) .. so please support the OOo QA Base
team with this work and let us keep our area clean and up-to-date.
now we are down to 95 issues .. that is still pretty much and not many
people had helped (excluding a few very diligent ones, thx) .. that is a rather easy job and everybody can help and support us with rather little
time and engagement .. so please stop your 'what can the community do
for me' attitude and give a little bit of the support back, what you get
here every day

.. so let us stretch this action for another week and see if we can more
than this !

Facing the danger to sound stupid I'd like to say:

I'm not really sure what the expectations and the formal necessities
are. E.g. I'm not actually a project member of "dba" but "de". And I do
not know if I can set issues to "confirmed" state or if I need special
permission or so.
therefor you can ask a team member: http://qa.openoffice.org/ooQAReloaded/DatabaseTeamsite/ooQA-TeamDatabaseResp.html

.. all nice and qualified guys who can help you further

The small amount of time I can spend every now and then on helping
would be eaten up totally by digging up all relevant information pages
on the projects site and the wiki.
it is a little bit depressing to hear the same arguments, as before we have spend a lot of time and manpower on the rework of the qa pages and the corresponding docu: http://qa.openoffice.org/ooQAReloaded/Docs/QA-Reloaded-HowToStart.html

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/QA_reloaded
http://qa.openoffice.org/ooQAReloaded/DatabaseTeamsite/ooQA-TeamDatabase.html

p.s. but i guess that power user which maintain databases, are in the condition to learn issue handling in rather short time .. does not mean that every newbie who sit in front of a computer first time, will help us .. but if you write db issues and read this mailing list, you are probably not a fully rookie ;)

Could you give a short guideline in a few sentences or point me to a web
page explaning without to much verbosity?

Hi Marc,

Great questions.

Two things come to mind.

One is that really all one needs do is request the ability - the question is to how I suppose?

Secondly Christoph has on a few occasions, as have others with other projects, tried to setup bug hunting days and issue confirmation days.

This usually included the use of irc as a meeting place for participants.

The response was less then stellar - I suppose - as I was one that didn't make it. OK, I have good excuses but you know what they say about excuses.

With regard to the second thought - I feel that this use of 'a day' is still valid, but instead of hit and miss days rather more scheduled days.

What I would propose is that I just start this by picking a day of the week perhaps and schedule my work on confirmations with an explicit commitment to be on the irc channel at that time. Then let people know they are welcome to join me, perhaps I can help others be more efficient with their time. I will just put up a reminder now and then - if that sounds ok to the group?
sounds great .. also mechtilde is regullary (really, really often) at irc #qa.openoffice.org

For the first part - how to get can confirm rights and who to ask - ?
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Canconfirm_Rights

.. but not everybody really needs them! for a couple of issues it make more sense to ask a db team member ;)

A few days ago I was responding to a email on the users mailing list and before I did took the time to enter the OO.o website as if I where a new user (I tried anyway), no logon account and had to read all the menu's to find my way around, that wanted to report a bug. I rather thought it was getting fairly good given the last changes to the QA pages.
the old game: which link is the most important on the first pages .. we have improved that, but it still can be better .. but please discuss such things on the general qa board

Wondering as I type this now, is there a good 'I want to be a QA community tester', survival guide style perhaps, page - don't know, suppose I'll go look.
i do not want to blame you, but on the qa site the first top link is: 'how to start'

.. i already realized that nobody read this and rather few people use the qa sites, but i cannot hear anymore that the support of the community in qa area would raise if we would have a better infrastructure/guides/support/ircs etc. because after a lot of work this has not improved significantly :( so at the moment i have to evaluate in every case which work really succeed and which only burn my (and our) time and resources ;)

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/QA_reloaded

Drew
i hope i have not demotivated anyone (specially not you drew), but i prefer to be realistic in this area

bye chris
(http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/User:Clu)