G. Roderick Singleton wrote:

So where's the problem if we do that and do all the proper recognition
of trademarks et cetera. e.g. Windows(R), Solaris(R) in the text body.

The problem is that the law is not the same throughout the world, nor is it applied in the same way. However, and contrary to our own project (little snipe here), Microsoft has translated its EULA into the various different languages where it had an obligation do so, which means that it applies, notwithstanding any clauses or claims that may not be applicable in that jurisdiction. Microsoft also includes product liability disclaimers for each country where they are needed.

A project of this size really needs to address the legal issues it encounters - Debian does, RedHat does, Mandriva does, Sun has (for its own product StarOffice and consorts), Novell has just done so (for whatever reason, justified or not). At present, everyone seems to be adopting the proverbial ostrich approach "stick my head in the sand and it'll go away", because we are all relying on Sun to protect us. IMHO this is a completely false sense of security, I have yet to have seen it publicly written anywhere on the OOo site that we have dealt with these issues, or that we have a standpoint to offer.

Alex