Let's simplify.

We want something with no ambiguities.

Move over everything under a new license.

One addendum. Anyone who doesn't agree with the new move and/or license is free to withdraw their material.

Provide a deadline for withdrawing material.  State this clearly.

If no one withdraws by the deadline then automatic permission to use the material under new license is granted.

This will automatically remove any ambiguities.

It appears to me that it is very important that ambiguity is completely removed.

Nino is right.

Let's remove all obstacles to moving forward efficiently.

Alan

ccornell - OpenOffice.org wrote:
Then I'd suggest to start over ASAP.
Putting things right IMHO is an important prerequisite for productive work.

Easy to say, but very difficult (but not impossible) to do.

Starting over introduces a lot of issues... maintaining 2 valid/live Wikis is an admin nightmare. If you lock the old Wiki, then still, each and every Wiki page will have to be (or at least should be) assessed and "cleared" to move to the new Wiki under a new license. If you don't move everything over to a new Wiki with a clear license, you're left with basically the same situation we have right now anyway... some pages that are under an unclear or undeclared license, and some pages that are under a specific license.

It's a huge job... who will do it? Who will manage it? Who will take responsibility for it? Who will contact (at the very minimum) all project leads and get their sign-off for such a task? The licensing ambiguity issue affects every page on the Wiki (the Documentation section is somewhat in order with each page having a license footer... either PDL or CC-BY). Getting signoff on something like this will be an interesting task... not everyone agrees that there is a problem right now.

I agree that something should be done, but what exactly, and more importantly, how... I don't know.

C.